Here is a report that deserves the "Chicken Little award’" because it rivals the chicken’s report that the sky is falling. It’s hard to find a report that has more "dire calamities" all in one newspaper item. Here is a summary of the scare as reported here.
The scare: Jonathan Leake, in The Times of London on 26 October 2008, says:
1. The Arctic icecap is “shrinking at record rates” even in the winter;
2. “The period in which the ice renews itself has become much shorter”;
3. The “even more alarming” cause of the thinner ice is warmer seas rather than warmer air;
4. “The Arctic is likely to melt much faster than had been thought”;
5. “The summer icecap could vanish within a decade”, according to unnamed “experts”;
6. The Northwest Passage was open in the summer of 2008 for the first time in 30 years;
7. Arctic sea ice is half of its 1976 thickness;
8. “Now the ice is just collapsing”. as shown by “satellite-based observations”;
9. In September 2007 the Arctic icecap had “lost an extra 1.1 million square miles;
10. The icecap was “43% smaller than it was in 1979, when satellite observations began”;
11. Less ice means less sunlight reflected harmlessly back to space and so more warming;
12. “The process accelerates until there is no more ice to melt”; and
13. A scientist has said: “This is one of the most serious problems the world has ever faced”.
Follow the link above to read an analysis of these claims.